Have you tried Starbucks’s cherry oat bars? They are out-of-this-world delicious! Starbucks describes them as “Plump, juicy Michigan cherries and hearty oats are topped with a buttery streusel. This seasonal bar is perfect for a quick & easy breakfast or afternoon treat.”
It doesn’t have to be seasonal if you love these cherry filled treats. This recipe will help you make the famous cherry oat bars that taste just like the original bars that you buy at Starbucks, when they are in season that is.
In this recipe, I am using my favorite cherry pie filling that exceptionally delicious with a pleasant consistency. Not only does it taste good but it’s also very simple to make. My kids made it several times following the recipe and every time it turned out very well. I am sure that Starbucks uses it’s own recipe for the cherry filling but this taste every bit as good and even better if you ask me.
I keep these cherry oat bars at room temperature for a day or so, they just don’t last any longer in my house. If you plan on keeping them longer, refrigerate. They will keep fresh for several days when refrigerated.
Starbucks Michigan Cherry Oat BarsPrint Pin Rate
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
For the Cherry Filling:
- 5 cups sweet cherries fresh or frozen; stemmed and pitted; see notes.
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 6 Tbsp lemon juice
- Prepare the cherry filling in advance as it needs to cool. Place cherry filling ingredients in medium sauce pan and stir well. Turn the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. If you want the filling to be smoother and less chunky, use a hand blender to slightly break the cherries into smaller pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 9 x 12 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Next prepare the base and the top dry layers. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter to form a crumbly mixture.
- Spread 2/3 of the oat mixture and pat firmly and evenly into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread the cherry filling evenly over the base.
- Spread cherry pie filling over oats.
- Crumble the rest of the oat mixture evenly over the cherry filling.
- Bake at 350F until light golden brown, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before cutting.