These marinated zucchini are great as a snack on their own or as an accompaniment to grilled meats and many other dishes. Try them with mashed potatoes, it’s a match made in heaven!
A little bit of oil, sugar, salt and acidity does wonders to vegetables, especially to bland ones like zucchini. They preserve longer, and, most importantly, they taste much better when marinated. I posted on my blog some of my most favorite marinated vegetable recipes, such as Marinated Shredded Carrots and Marinated Eggplant. They are always a hit at our house.
When we make marinated vegetables there is always a lot of tasting, sometimes to the point where there is almost nothing left to marinate.
Marinated zucchini is one of those recipes that are prone to excessive tasting while they are being made. The reason is that they are sliced so thinly that they absorb the marinade almost immediately which makes them very tasty practically as soon as they are made.
Try to resist the urge and let them marinate overnight. You will be rewarded handsomely. The zucchini will have enough time to soak in the flavorful marinade and each slice will be exploding with tasty goodness in your mouth.
Marinated Zucchini with Garlic and Fresh Herbs
- 2 medium zucchini rinsed, ends trimmed off
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the marinade
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 tsp red pepper flakes plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Slice the zucchini really thin, about 1/16-inch thick on a mandolin or a food processor. Place them in a bowl, toss with salt and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing the olive oil with the rest of the ingredients.
- Drain the zucchini. Handful by handful, gently press with your hands to remove excess liquid. Place in a bowl. Add the marinade and mix well.
- Transfer to an air tight container and refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Marinated zucchini will keep in an air tight container in a fridge for up to 7 days.