I was once treated to one of these chocolate cherry cupcakes. Decadent, chocolaty and filled with dark cherries, the cupcake felt like heaven in my mouth . Rich, velvety smooth, chewy, moist and fruity. It took me a while to get the recipe as I did not know the baker well enough but I eventually got it. If you like chocolate, give these chocolate cherry cupcakes a try, they are absolutely worth it.
These chocolate cupcakes are not frosted like traditional cupcakes. Instead, they are dipped in a decadent chocolate glaze. I use my tried-and-true chocolate glaze recipe here as it’s simple and works exceptionally well. The glaze that came with the cupcake recipe just did not have the same smooth texture and and the flavor that I was looking for.
These cupcakes are best served warm, that’s what my kids say, though I like them cold. When cold, they taste similar to brownies – chewy, a little dense and chocolaty. If you like them warm, you can always microwave them for 10-15 seconds before serving.
Chocolate Cherry CupcakesPrint Pin Rate
- ½ cup butter softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour all‑purpose
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups cherry pie filling
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the chocolate glaze
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or semisweet
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix all the ingredients, except the cherry pie filling, together with electric mixer until smooth. Add in cherry pie filling and mix until cherries are in small chunks.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into 18 paper‑lined muffin tins.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean except for melted chocolate chips. Remove from the oven and let cool down.
- To prepare the glaze, combine the milk, butter, sugar, chocolate and cocoa powder in a medium sauce pan. Slowly bring the mix to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- Dip tops of cooled cupcakes in the glaze to coat.