This banana bread is a staple at our home. We make it practically weekly or bi-weekly at least. Making the batter takes minutes and the bread is wonderfully moist and buttery soft. To make it, all you need is a handful of basic ingredients, a bowl and a whisk. No mixer is required. I find that using a mixer ruins the delicate texture of the banana bread due to easy over-mixing. And if you can’t whisk the bananas – they aren’t overripe enough. Overripe bananas make the most flavorful banana bread. That’s the key to making the best banana bread that anyone will love.
Another important thing with this banana bread recipe is the baking time. Over-baking the bread will cause it to lose moisture. This bread is very moist if baked just right. I would recommend checking for doneness early the first time around as everyone’s oven bakes differently. But once you know how it bakes in your kitchen, you can just go by time. I normally start preheating my oven at the same time as I start preparing the batter. I am done with the batter way before the oven is preheated and that’s when I put the pan in the oven. Setting the timer to 55 minutes at this point gives me perfect results.
Unlike in more banana bread recipes out there, there is no vanilla in this recipe. I find that if you use really ripe, even overripe bananas, there will be plenty of flavor. Vanilla will only compete with banana flavor. If you insist though, feel free to add a teaspoon.
Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 bananas (very, very ripe, even overripe)
- 1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup sugar (increase to 3/4 cup if you like your banana bread sweeter)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or kosher salt)
- Soften butter by letting it sit at room temperature for a few hours, or microwave for 20-30 seconds, until soft but not melted. Add the sugar and cream the two together with a hand whisk, about 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, bananas and lime juice. Whisk for a little more, until all the ingredients are combined. The bananas should soft enough to be easily broken up with a whisk.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add to the creamed banana mixture and combine using the whisk.
- Grease a bread pan with some butter. Pour in the banana bread mixture, scraping every last bit of it from the bowl. A rubber spatula is best for this task.
- Transfer the pan into an oven preheated to 350F and bake for 50 minutes or until a wooden stick come out barely clean. Do not over-bake as that will result in reduced moistness. Tip: I often start preheating the oven at the same time as I start preparing the batter, which only takes minutes. I place the pan in the not fully preheated oven and set the time to 55 minutes, which gives me perfect results.As they say, everyone's oven bakes differently, so your timing may slightly vary.