Servings: 40 6" beef sticks
- 3500 g beef chuck about 7.7 lbs; 20/80 fat to lean meat
- 7.5 g Cure #1 about 1.5 level tsp
- 45 g kosher salt about 2.5 Tbsppp
- 6.5 g ground black pepper about 2 tsp
- 6 g granulated garlic about 2 tsp
- 8 g granulated onion about 2 1/2 tsp
- 42 g Fermento about 6 Tbsp
- 5 g dextrose about 1 tsp; can be substituted for white sugar
- 8 g mustard powder about 1 Tbsp
- 5 g celery seed about 2 tsp
Grind the meat through a 3/16" (4.5 mm) grinder plate.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. I find that a stand mixer with a paddle attachment works very well for mixing.
Stuff into 18-24 mm natural or collagen casings.
Tie into 24" rings (24" total length, 12" top to bottom when the ring is formed).
Transfer to the smoker and dry without smoke for 30-45 minutes at 110F, or until dry to touch.
Raise the temperature to 130F and smoke for 2-3 hours or until the desired color is obtained.
Transfer to a large pot with water preheated to 165F. Poach for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 154-158 F.
Shower with cold water for about 5 min, then let cool down and dry.
Cut into 6" sticks.
Store in a refrigerator.
Calories: 156.66kcal | Carbohydrates: 0.6g | Protein: 16.45g | Fat: 9.88g | Saturated Fat: 4.3g | Cholesterol: 58.68mg | Sodium: 578.08mg | Potassium: 291.51mg | Fiber: 0.12g | Sugar: 0.16g | Vitamin A: 11.06IU | Vitamin C: 0.07mg | Calcium: 18.96mg | Iron: 1.88mg