Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 18 hours
Servings: 4 cups
- 3 quarts whole milk not ultra-pasteurized
- 1 quart heavy cream ultra-pasteurized or not ultra-pasteurized
- 1/4 tsp calcium chloride diluted in 2 Tbsp non-chlorinated water
- 1/4 tsp mesophilic starter culture or use the amount instructed on the packaging
- 4 drops liquid rennet single strength; diluted in 2 Tbsp non-chlorinated water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Pour the milk and the cream into a large pot and slowly bring to 86°F, stirring every once in a while.
Add the calcium chloride and stir well.
Sprinkle the starter culture over the milk and let it soak for 5 minutes.
Add the rennet and stir well for 20 seconds.
Cover the pot and let the milk ripen for 12-16 hours, until the whey begins to separate from the curds and smalls pools of whey begin to form (pH level reaches about 4.9-5.1).
Transfer the curds with a slotted spoon to a large colander lined with double layer of cheese cloth and positioned over a large pot. Allow most of the whey to drain off for 2 hours.
Gather the four corners of the cheese cloth and tie to a knot. Hang on a stick and position over a large bowl. Let drain more for 10-20 hours at room temperature, slightly mixing with a spoon every 2-3 hours, until the desired consistency is achieved.
Add the salt and mix once again. Transfer to a clean container, close with a lid and refrigerate for up to 2-3 weeks.
Calories: 1249kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 111g | Saturated Fat: 68g | Cholesterol: 395mg | Sodium: 976mg | Potassium: 1114mg | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 4630IU | Vitamin C: 1.4mg | Calcium: 956mg | Iron: 0.3mg