Improved Chicken Brine Recipe
A recipe and instructions for brining chicken and poultry in general.
- 1 gallon water ice cold
- ¾ cup kosher salt (219 g)
- 3 oz sugar (85 g); brown or white
- 2 large carrots peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 medium onions peeled and cut into pieces
- 8 cloves garlic peeled and cut in halves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
To prepare the brine, bring 1 quart of water to boil, add salt and sugar and stir to dissolve. Add chopped vegetables and spices and remove from heat. Cover and let cool. Mix with the rest of the water and refrigerate to cool below 40F before adding the chicken.
Add the chicken an brine in a refrigerator according to the table above.
After brining, rinse the chicken in cold tap water for 5 minutes to remove any crystallized salt from their surface, then leave it to drain.